WSFHS holds only war grave information for Farnham Green Lane Cemetery.
The cemetery is in the Ancient Parishan Ancient Parish is a Church of England parish which had both ecclesiastical and civil functions parish of Farnham St Andrew. The Surrey Monumental Inscriptions Index has around has around 1017 names for Farnham St Andrew ranging from the mid 1700s to the 1930s.
Green Lane Cemetery is in the Wrecclesham locality of Farnham. There are around 860 names in the Surrey Monumental Inscriptions Index for the churchyard of Wrecclesham St Peter.
for more information about which Monumental Inscriptions are available email us:
WSFHS CD10(Surrey Burial Index) has burial records for
WSFHS CD15(Surrey Baptisms Not in the IGI - 2nd edition 2009) has Baptismal records for: click here (opens in a new page). or see our sales page for more information (opens in a new page).
WSFHS CD24(A 2nd Collection of Surrey Baptisms) has Baptismal records for the Farnham Bible Christian Circuit from 1839-1874. For a full list of parishes covered click here (opens in a new page). or see our sales page for more information (opens in a new page).
WSFHS CD42(Ancient Parishes in the Farnham District) has Baptismal records for Farnham St Andrew from 1539 to 1840 and Burial records from 1539 to 1840, see our sales page for more information (opens in a new page).
Friends of Surrey Cemeteries (Surrey Cemeteries: a survey, 2012):
Green Lane, Wrecclesham. Opened 1914. 4.7 acres. Chapel.
Transferred from Waverley Borough Council to Farnham Town Council 2006. 01252 823193.
Plan of cemetery approved by Home Secretary presented to annual meeting of Farnham Burial Committee March 1913.
Contracts had been signed with Messrs Hughes and Elwell in January, various “unnecessary” items omitted saving £246. At a meeting of the committee in January 1914 a statement of expenditure was presented – estimate of £3100 (amount borrowed) Of that £2828.13/-8d spent against estimate of £2640. This left £209.13/-8d for the Lodge which had been cut out of the original contract. It was suggested that a further sum of £225 would be needed to complete the lodge and Mr Stedman, the architect was asked to review cost saving for the next meeting. At the meeting in March 1914 it was finally agreed that the lodge should be built although Mr Swanborough dissented as there was no lodge at Ash and it wasn’t considered necessary at every cemetery. Mr Harris had pointed out the shortage of cottages in the area. A request to tender was advertised in the Surrey & Hants News in July. At this meeting tenders were received for grave indicators from M&J Tily at 5/-3d per dozen and from Hickley & Co Ltd at 7/-9d. Tily quoted £21 for a complete outfit of tools for the cemetery and Hickley quoted £18.17/-4d. The cheaper quotes were accepted.
A large portion of the cemetery was consecrated by the Bishop of Winchester in February 1914. The chapel in early English style measuring 18ft by 23ft built of Bargate stone from Godalming with Bath stone dressings stands close to the entrance. It has pitch pine seating for about 80 persons. The cemetery as built is enclosed by iron fencing. In 1947 area of 4.75 acres, all cemetery. The Rev A E Hudson, Vicar of the Bourne wrote in the parish magazine 1947 that improvements should be made to the chapel – its heating was wretched and the east end very meagre and undignified. He also felt that the seating should be reorganised and a monthly memorial service held.
For fees see Farnham Register from 1914 with Farnham T C. Burial board transferred to Council 27 July 1926.
1931 newspaper report says 1 man employed here.
6049/3/Box 16. Faculty granted for exhumation and reburial of Edward Court who had been put in the wrong grave. D1815 > B879. requested by his wife – he had purchased a plot to be buried next to his daughter.
Visited 2005. A nice setting on sloping ground facing north with views from the top over floodplain and old Farnham. Quite a large chapel in reasonable condition. Little planting in main block of cemetery but trees and hedges round perimeter. Memorials fairly average but a nice Compton close to the chapel. Farnham Herald 18 July 1952 reported on the favoured response to a request by The Wrecclesham Women’s Cooperative Guild. The open spaces and burial ground committee recommended to the Farnham Urban Council that a temporary northern access be made available to the cemetery on Saturdays and Sundays. The matter was considered at the July committee meeting when Mr R C Radford (chairman) presided. An estimate of £55 for providing a double gate, removing trees and undergrowth, paving the entrance and providing water near the entrance was submitted by the surveyor. As there was no provision for the expenditure in the council estimates the committee recommended its deferment for consideration in the estimates for 1953/54. In 2009 council encouraged the formation of a Friends of Farnham Cemeteries group.
Farnham (Civil) Parisha Civil Parish is the bottom most tier of local government in England Sometimes called Town Councils in urban areas
[NB Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have different systems of local government] is in the Waverley district of Surrey.
Unless otherwise stated the dates for the creation of parishes are taken from Youngs, Frederick. A., Guide to the Administrative Units of England; Royal Historical Society: London, 1979 volume 1 Southern England.
The Waverley Index will show you all the churches and cemeteries we know of in the Waverley District. If we have missed any or you are looking for a church or graveyard that might no longer exist do please let us know using the email at the bottom of this page
If you came to this page from our main index to churchyards
If you came from the Waverley page use the button at the top of this page to close the page and go back to the Waverley index.